CAMP Development Director Charlie Lee and Jack Morrison.
Thanks a Million! Now Let’s Head for Two!
Just recently, with an on-line sign-up for a CAMP Rehoboth Membership, cheers went up at the CAMP office. A magnificent milestone had been reached—the Membership program had hit the magic one million dollar mark!
Since its start-up in 2009, the CAMP Membership program has engaged hundreds and hundreds of members with the total number in membership dues reaching $1,000,000.
Yes, six zeroes!
So what does this mean? For starters, it means that for the last six years (out of CAMP’s 25 year history), it has become a strong membership organization. CAMP members receive perks and benefits for their dues, and the money provides a whole roster of crucial services to the community.
It was an idea born of a fledgling Membership committee in 2009, with financial volunteer extraordinaire, Charlie Lee at the computers. Charlie wrote the recruitment letters and put his full heart and soul into the program. In just six short years, CAMP Rehoboth’s Membership program has taken off beyond the committee’s dreams, and Charlie has spearheaded the work the entire time. This full-time volunteer has made the program his passion and the entire community has benefited from the results of Charlie’s efforts.
Charlie likes to say that “Membership keeps the lights on”, and it does. It keeps the lights on in the house with the heart that gives staff and volunteers a place to work on all that CAMP does. The next time you run into Charlie, let him know what CAMP Membership means for you!
The current Membership Committee is led by CAMP Rehoboth board member Jane Blue, and this year’s campaign not only put the membership dollars over the top, but gave an appropriate salute to CAMP Rehoboth’s 25th Anniversary year.
Now that we’re celebrating this milestone, some of you may wonder where the money is spent and why CAMP is asking for your help getting to the next million…
First, there’s the stuff we all see and enjoy:
- The “home for all” structure at 37 Baltimore Ave. where entertainment events, weddings, community meetings, art shows, health screenings, informal meet ups, volunteer training, and much more take place.
- The small, dedicated staff who provide a clearing house of resources, sell tickets, provide health counseling, testing and education, advocate for equality, provide police sensitivity training, welcome newbies to the community, and so much more.
- Publish Letters from CAMP Rehoboth, our “go to” for all the best happenings around town, for learning how we can participate or assist, and for eying CAMPshots to find pictures of us and our friends having the times of our lives!
- Sundance Weekend, Women’s FEST, World AIDS Day programs, Health and Wellness Week, CAMP Rehoboth Chorus, and more.
Then there’s the stuff that isn’t so visible:
- Providing a safe haven for questioning youth.
- Working with legislators on anti-discrimination and equality issues to protect and advance LGBT rights and opportunities at local, state and federal levels.
- Advocating for and educating residents, visitors and businesses on LGBT issues—something that over the last 25 years has shaped and evolved our community into the richly diverse gem of a locale that it is today.
- Fundraising and promotion for partnering nonprofits so that together, we provide the best possible care and services to all residents.
- Swift and caring intervention for individuals or groups needing help—be it against discrimination, seeking health guidance, or anything else.
There are a million stories with favorable outcomes we don’t often hear about to match the million dollars raised to date.
Frankly, this is just the tip of the 25 year old iceberg! CAMP Rehoboth really is the heart of the community for local residents and visitors, LGBT or straight, young or not-so-young, politically involved or not, using CAMP’s Community Center facilities or not, and much more.
If you are one of CAMP Rehoboth’s stalwart members, thank you! Not a member yet? Join up and be part of what makes Rehoboth Beach a place for all. Join so that we all may continue to Create a More Positive Rehoboth.
As iconic politician and gay hero Harvey Milk once famously said “I am here to recruit you!”
Get on the CAMP Rehoboth Membership roster or re-up today. You are needed, and your dues will be used to fund many essential programs—some that we all frequently enjoy, and many that quietly take place to save and shape lives, support those who need help, and consistently make a positive difference in all who call this area “home.”
Besides, Membership has Benefits! Give us a call or check CAMP’s website and we will show you all about it.