Moments of Love
A former colleague from UMBC asked me recently, “What do you love about your job?” I had to think for a few moments. I was thrown by the word “love.” When I get asked about my job, most people ask me, “Do you like your job?” So her question about love made me wonder. Images of daily experiences began flooding my mind. These experiences are actionable moments of the love I have experienced since stepping in the door of CAMP Rehoboth six months ago.
I replied to the question, “I love the moments—that’s what I love about my job.” I went on to share moments such as:
- Conversations on the porch
- The joy of the CAMP Chorus leadership meeting
- Artists proud that their art hangs on the walls of 37 Baltimore Avenue
- Adults painting rocks to honor a loved one
- Freely dancing during SUNFESTIVAL
- Families watching drag queens perform during Block Party
- The care given to someone who is anxious about testing for HIV
- New actors being delighted with the opportunity to perform
- Standing ovations for the Gay Mens’ Chorus of Washington
- Collective grief when we learn of the death of a community member
- A volunteer who shares the joy they feel
- The before, during, and after of renovations
- The staff pitching in to help each other
- Breaking out in song during a CAMPcierge shift
- LGBTQ+ veterans together
- Answering the call to the blood donation emergency
- The men’s yoga group talking over coffee
- Our mighty contingent during the Sea Witch Parade
- The beautiful AIDS quilt hanging in All Saints Church
- and so many, many more moments.
The author bell hooks, in her book All About Love, states, “When we are loving, we openly and honestly express care, affection, responsibility, respect, commitment, and trust.” Acts of loving are what I observe and experience daily in my job. Our conversations are honest, the commitment to the community is real, and the trust that is shared is honored.
Your love is demonstrated through your giving. We exceeded our Giving Tuesday and End of Year Giving goals and we have over 100 new donors! Our corporate sponsors are engaged. CAMP Rehoboth is doing well.
And, we have more to do. We are Pride in Progress as we embrace our future as a community, empower each other, and evolve as an organization. We are making it happen in 2024!
Each day I have people ask, “What can I do?” Now is the time to engage—don’t sit back! Join in and help us to continue making Rehoboth Beach and Southern Delaware LGBTQ+ affirming, safe, and joyous. Here are some suggestions:
Volunteer with CAMP Rehoboth and/or the CAMP Rehoboth Outreach Program (CROP).
- Make a donation for a specific need (technology, programs, the arts, and more).
- Donate during Do More 24 Delaware (March 7 and 8).
- Coordinate a social, coffee hour, potluck dinner, game night, or other program.
- Help us to find and write grants.
- Become a member and invite a friend to do so as well.
- Bring friends and family to our programs and events.
- Stay engaged with local, state, and national politics—register to vote, read, educate yourself.
- Sponsor a portion of Women’s FEST or Sunfestival.
- Contribute to an art exhibit, support CAMP Chorus, or help with theatre.
- Inspire others by contributing matching funds for our giving campaigns.
- Share CAMP Rehoboth social media posts.
- Talk with others, spread the word, tell your stories about times and experiences with CAMP Rehoboth.
- Connect us to an organization for collaboration and partnership.
I am honored to serve this outstanding organization. So much good is happening at CAMP Rehoboth. What a fabulously loving community. We make Southern Delaware fun and friendly! Forward, together. ▼
Kim Leisey, PhD, is Executive Director of CAMP Rehoboth.