CLASI Provides Free Services
by Zita Dresner
The Community Legal Aid Society, Inc. (CLASI) provides free legal services in civil (non-criminal) matters to residents throughout Delaware. Committed to securing equal access to justice for Delawareans regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or gender identity, CLASI offers advice and counsel, negotiation, representation in administrative hearings, advocacy with government agencies, court hearings, and community legal education programs to underserved populations. The problems handled by CLASI, through its offices in Georgetown, Dover, and Wilmington include:
- The Fair Housing Program (FHP) assists Delawareans whose rights have been violated under federal and state fair housing laws and in matters including eviction, unsafe housing conditions, code violations, and tenants’ rights in public and subsidized housing.
- The Immigration program represents immigrants and families who are victims of crime and need help dealing with issues involving U Visa, VAWA, T Visa, and Special Immigrant Juvenile Status.
- The Family Law program helps victims of domestic violence in Sussex and Kent counties in obtaining Protection From Abuse Orders and in related child custody issues, divorce, and property division.
- The Disabilities Law Program (DLP) is Delaware’s protection and advocacy system and serves people with physical and mental disabilities by providing assistance in securing their rights to appropriate treatment, access and accommodation, government benefits, special education services, and other rights related to their disabilities.
- The Elder Law Program (ELP) handles legal issues for people 60 and over, including consumer problems, landlord/tenant issues, public benefits (Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security), long-term care facility problems, advanced health-care directives, and powers of attorney.
CLASI does not handle criminal matters, traffic offenses, personal injury cases, malpractice cases, divorces, wills, or bankruptcy.
If you need assistance with any of the issues described above, please reach out to CLASI at (302) 856-0038 or toll free 1 (800) 462-7070. ▼
Zita Dresner is a Volunteer Attorney at the ELP Program in the Georgetown office of CLASI.